Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Whitney wins!

Kimberlee here again. So since I've been in Africa for the past month, I've gotten a little behind on some of the shows I keep up with. I finally got caught-up with The Office (go Jim & Pam!). And yesterday I also heard the news about the winner of America's Next Top Model - Cycle 10. Yes, this is one of my "guilty pleasure" shows, and I have to admit that I LOVE watching it. Marissa and I both do, actually. We often chat about the sets, lighting, posing, and expressions of the images from that show (we're dorks, I know). :) Anyway... I was SO very excited to hear that the winner this season was Whitney! On the show, she's been labeled a "plus-size" model, but let's be real here; she's "NORMAL" size! She never apologizes for her curves, and her confidence is just so magnetic.

One of the sections in our Bad-Ass Training Guide is entitled: "We're Bringing Curvy Back"™ - and I just want to emphasize again how important it is for us as photographers to really take advantage of this opportunity we have. It's an incredible opportunity - to celebrate women of every shape and size; and to help combat society's views of what "beauty" really is!

Right after Whitney wins on ANTM, Tyra mentions how she is a "full-figured" model, and one of the other judges makes a statement that is absolutely right-on. She said:

"THIS SHOULD NOT BE CALLED PLUS-SIZED OR FULL-FIGURED. THIS SHOULD JUST BE CALLED BEAUTIFUL." (Click here to watch it)

Congratulations, Whitney! *image courtesy of the CW*

Our second workshop officially starts tonight, and we're so excited to meet the awesome photographers who have traveled here to San Diego to hang out with us at our boudoir studio. Tomorrow is a day dedicated to posing, expression, lighting, and shooting, and we've got some gorgeous models lined up again. (And, might we add, we have a few gals that are actually normal clients - not just professional models here!)

No comments: